Gosh – sorry to have kept you waiting for this next post (Recipe #30!). Life has been really busy, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t stopped using my Instant Pot® (IP) for deliciously nutritious meals! Next up is a recipe that warmed my lentil-loving soul as well as the bellies of those around me. I don’t know if I should call it a soup or a curry or a dal, but whatever it is, it is so satisfying. I can’t wait for you to try it!
Coconut Ginger Lentils
2 tablespoons olive oil
1.5 large onions, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons ginger, minced
1 tablespoon tumeric
5 large carrots, diced
2 cups red lentils, rinsed
48 fluid ounces water
2, 13.5 ounce cans coconut milk
4 teaspoons salt (and more to taste)
Crushed red pepper flakes
- Add in garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the tumeric, carrots, lentils and water.
- Place the IP lid on and lock into place. Set the IP to 20 minutes (High Pressure).
- After the cook cycle is finished, let the IP release naturally for 10 minutes, then carefully release the rest of the pressure.
- Open lid and stir in the coconut milk and the salt. Add additional salt and/or the optional toppings/add-ins if desired.
For our family, the way we made this a wonderfully complete meal was to serve this dish over steamed brown rice.
For my Nutrition Highlight, I thought I’d focus on an ingredient that is delicious fresh, ground and pickled! Today, I’ll focus on…
Ginger’s benefits include:
Relief of vertigo
Relief of nausea and vomiting of pregnancy (but be careful not to overdo it!)
Anti-inflammatory effects (i.e. osteoarthritis inflammation)
So, that’s all for now. Please feel free to ask questions about my experience with the IP, Weekday Vegetarianism, ginger, general nutrition or whatever! See you next time!
*Recipe adapted from: https://www.budgetbytes.com/golden-coconut-lentil-soup/
Any content you find on Sunny Seeds Nutrition Blog is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you have regarding a medical condition.